With just a few simple tweaks, you can elevate your brownies to a different level. If you love orange flavour in chocolate, you’ll love these. I reduced significantly the amount of sugar and marmalade from the original recipe and it worked out very well. They are very fudge, gluten-free, with the perfect amount and flavour of bitter orange. Even better the next day!
GLUTEN-FREE MARMALADE BROWNIES
200g dark chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons ground almonds
5 tablespoons marmalade
3 tablespoons flaked or chopped almonds
pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 25cm square tray with baking paper.
- Break the chocolate into the heatproof bowl and melt over the simmering water or in the microwave. Add the butter, stir well to combine.
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg white until meringue-stiff. set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla, then fold in the ground almonds.
- Add the cooled but still warm chocolate mixture into the yolk batter. Then gently fold in the egg whites, a third at the time, do not knock the air too much.
- Pour the ready mixture on the the prepared tin.
- Gently warm the marmalade in a small saucepan with the spoon of water until it’s a bit loose. Then spoon this over the brownies mixture randomly. Sprinkle with the almonds on top and seas salt, bake for 20-25 minute or until the knife inserted int he middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin completely before removing and cutting into the squares.