It was love at first bite! Once you’ve made them, I’m sure you’ll be making them again and again. The combination of apple and cheese will satisfy your sweet and savoury cravings in the same bite with these easy snacks. Serve these Cheddar Apple Muffins warm from the oven for a morning treat, however, they are equally good when are cold.
CHEESY APPLE MUFFINS
(Please note, this will make 6-7 muffins only. Use double portion of everything for bigger quantity)
60 g butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
130 g plain flour
80-100 g Cheddar cheese, grated
50 g sugar
1 large apple, grated
1-2 tablespoons of milk (if needed)
2-3 teaspoons poppy seeds for decoration (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Beat butter with sugar, add the egg and beat well until smooth.
3. In separate bowl mix together flour, salt, baking powder, add the butter mixture, mix. Then add the grated cheese and apple. Stir the batter carefully with a spoon, do not over-mix. If the batter is too thick you can add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to achieve desired thickness.
4. Fill the muffin moulds with the paper liners. Spoon the mixture in the prepared muffin moulds filling them about 2/3 . You can decorate with the slice of apple on top, if desired or, in my case, I prefer sprinkle them with some poppy seeds.
5. Bake the muffins for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Carefully remove from the pan, cool on the rack, serve hot or slightly cold!