Soft leeks and crumbled feta cheese go together beautifully. I also had some asparagus to use up. All together it made an easy vegetarian tart good enough for a party or for a midweek dinner.
ASPARAGUS, LEEK AND FETA CHEESE TART
(Adapted from Delicious magazine)
500g shortcrust pastry
knob of butter
2 leeks, sliced
100g asparagus tips
200ml double cream
100ml whole milk
3 large free-range eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- To bake the pastry shell first, prick the base of the pastry case all over with a fork. Line the tart tin with baking parchment and fill with ceramic baking beans or dried pulses. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the pastry is firm, then remove the beans and cook for about 5 minutes more, until golden brown and biscuity. Let it cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 170C.
- Blanch the asparagus by adding to a pan of boiling water (a frying pan is best as the spears will fit easily.) Cook for 2 minutes or until bright green. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain on the paper towel and set aside.
- Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan, then add 2 sliced leeks and cook over a medium heat until softened and golden. Season, then arrange the leeks in a blind-baked tart case, arrange the asparagus spears on top and scatter over 100g crumbled feta.
- In a jug, mix together double cream, whole milk and eggs. Season, then pour into the case.
- Bake in the oven at 170C for 25-30 minutes or until set with a slight wobble. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then serve.