ITALIAN CHICKEN WITH BASIL AND CHERRY TOMATOES
4 chicken legs, halved through the joints
Olive oil (approx 4 table spoons)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 bay leaves
100 ml white wine
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry oregano
250 g cherry tomatoes
25 g basil leaves, torn into pieces
125 g mozzarella cheese
salt & pepper
1. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the chicken pieces until brown. Drain to a plate.
2. Add the onion and celery to the pan and gently fry for about 10 minutes, add the garlic, bay leaves and fry for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the wine, can of chopped tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to boil. Then reduce the heat, return chicken pieces to the pan and cook very gently, uncovered for about 40 minutes.
4. Then place cherry tomatoes around the chicken, put on top torn half of the basil, following by torn pieces of mozzarella on top and cook for 20 minutes under the lead.
5. Stir in the rest of the basil leaves just before the serving and check for seasoning. Enjoy!