I love gnocchi, but only if they are pan-fried. I found boiled ones to be a bit heavy and sloppy. When I discovered pan-fried gnocchi (thanks to Nigella!), it was a game changer and since then I don’t do it any other way.
If I remember it right, I saw this recipe on one of the Sainsbury’s recipe cards, which you can pick up from the store. The recipe is so easy and adaptable, you can easily adjust it to your taste.
PAN-FRIED GNOCCHI WITH WATERCRESS PESTO & ROASTED TOMATOES
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
75ml olive oil, plus extra for frying
3 tbsp walnuts/pine nuts, toasted
1 x 110g bag watercress
1 x 500g pack fresh gnocchi
100g fine green beans, halved
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Place the halved tomatoes on the oiled roasting tray and roast until they are ready and caramelised on the edges.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, make the pesto by putting the garlic, olive oil, walnuts and the watercress in a food processor, blitz to combine. Check for seasoning.
- Heat a large frying pan with a splash of olive oil, add the gnocchi and toss gently over a medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the beans in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes until just tender, drain.
- To assemble, add the pesto to the gnocchi and toss together. Gently stir in the beans and tomatoes. Serve as a side dish or as a main with some salad.