I saw this recipe on Pinch of Yum site and immediately wanted to try it. The suggestion was that it’s a breakfast/bruch casserole dish, but I think it’s great at any time of day on its own with some nice crispy salad or as a side dish perhaps. I’ve slightly adapted this to match my taste, but you can check out the original recipe here. It’s a lovely site, by the way, if you haven’t heard about it.
POTATO AND SPINACH BAKE
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 any preferred good quality sausages
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 handfuls of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
2 large eggs
1/3 cup of milk
1 cup of grated raw potatoes
1/2 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up the oven to 200C. Grease the medium oven proof dish and set aside.
- Heat up the flying pan over medium heat with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add the chopped onions and sauté it until it becomes soft and translucent.
- Take the sausages, peel off their outer skin by gently cutting the skin in the middle and peeling it off with your fingers. Then crumble the sausage meat in rough chunks over the onion. Then add chilli powder and onion powder. Mix well and continue cooking until it brown and fully cooked. Transfer this mixture to the prepared oven dish, distribute evenly on the bottom.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the frying pan, add the garlic and gently cook t for a few minutes, do not allow it to burn. Add the spinach and stir until whilted for a few more minutes. Then scatter over the sausage mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, using fork, mix together the eggs, milk, mozzarella cheese, raw potatoes, salt and pepper. Pour over the sausage and spinach mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown or until it springs back when touched.