A fiend of mine suggested baking together from time to time, so we did, our first session. It was more chatting than baking, but it seems more fun that way, especially when there’s G&T involved.
We decided to bake two things: something savoury (we choose Zucchini Cheese Cake) and something sweet, like these Chocolate Shortcakes from Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home book. Both bakes were absolutely delicious and I highly recommend.
CHOCOLATE SHORTCAKES WITH A PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
340g plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
80g caster sugar
65g unsalted butter
85g milk chocolate chips
60ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
20g demerara sugar
280g full fat cream cheese
60g crunchy peanut butter
60g icing sugar
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and then add the caster sugar. Rub the butter into the ingredients and then add the chocolate chips.
- Mix the double cream, vanilla extract and two eggs in a jug and pour this into the flour mixture. This will form a rough dough when you stir it.
- Lightly flour a surface and pat the dough down onto it to a thickness of about 3-4cm. Cut out small discs using the cookie cutter (about 6-8 discs).
- Place the cakes onto your tray and put them into the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Remove the cakes from the freezer. In a small bowl beat the last egg and brush the tops of the cakes. Sprinkle the demerara sugar onto each cake and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- To make the filling, beat the cream cheese and the peanut butter until it’s smooth and then add the icing sugar.
- Once the cakes are baked and cooled, cut them in half and spoon a few teaspoons onto the bottom halves of the cakes and sandwich the cakes together.