Here’s an idea to add to your recipe collection during the Christmas season if you want to impress when entertaining. Something you can make ahead as it only enhances the flavour. The red wine adds body to this spread and cuts through the richness of the liver.
CHICKEN LIVER PATÉ WITH RED WINE
350g chicken liver
150ml red wine
5 springs of thyme, leaves stripped, plus extra for garnishing
salt & pepper to season
- Rinse the chicken livers and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Trim away any white sinew or greenish portions from the livers with small scissors, the cut each in half.
- Melt half the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat until it forms. Add the livers and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add the thyme, wine to the pan. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until the liquid is reduced and the livers are just cooked through when sliced open.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, then tip the livers and sauce into a blender, and blend until smooth. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Spoon the paté into a serving bowl, pressing it down with the back of the spoon, then set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter over a medium heat, then pour it over a medium heat, then pour it over the top of the paté. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with rye bread or toasted french bread slices or cornichons, which are the traditional French accompaniment.