This curry is for those whom like mild ones. As an alternative to the Korma, try this mild yet flavoursome dish with a tangy sweet and sour taste given by the addition of sliced apples.
APPLE CHICKEN CURRY
2 tablespoons oil/ghee
2 onions, diced
2 bay leaves
2.5cm cinnamon stick
1 pack of skinned chicken thighs (about 8 pieces)
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon ground almonds
200ml natural yogurt
3 apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1 tablespoon flaked almonds for decoration (optional)
- Heat the oil or ghee in a heavy bottom pan and fry the onions with the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick for about 3-5 minutes until the onions are beginning to soften but have not yet begun to brown.
- Add the chicken pieces to the onions and continue to fry for at least another 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the garam masala, ginger, garlic, salt, chilli powder, ground almonds and cook, stirring constantly, for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the yogurt and stir for a couple more minutes. Add some water if the consistency is too thick.
- Add the apples, cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Check that the chicken is cooked through and serve immediately, garnished with the flaked almonds, if you wish.