Summer is over (although I do enjoy the continued good weather, which it is at the moment), I’ve been busy lately and completely neglected my blog. I’ve been cooking a lot and collecting recipes to share, but some of them are not relevant anymore,(think strawberries, and I do try to be as ‘seasonal’ as I can). Also my mind is already set on Autumn, so I’m going to forget, well I mean to file some of my summer recipes till later and jump straight into the Autumn audition..
One of the things I absolutely love about this time of year, is the APPLES! I love them as they are and I love anything with apples.
Here is one of the simplest ways to enjoy apples. Baked apples are so easy to prepare, but my filling makes them more exciting.
BAKED APPLES WITH WALNUTS AND GINGER BISCUITS
4 good-sized eating apples
25 g butter
50 g brown sugar
2 handfuls chopped walnuts
3-4 ginger snap biscuits
zest of one orange
Plus: Cream or custard to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Use an apple corer or a small knife to remove the cores from your apples.
- Place the apples in a slightly buttered baking dish.
- Crush the biscuits, using the rolling pin until the mixture resembles wet sand, add butter, brown sugar, chopped walnuts and orange zest, mix until everything is incorporated.
- Stuff this mixture into the hole in each apple (where you removed the core) and rub the outside of each fruit with some of the leftover mixture.
- Place in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden and soft.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve it meanwhile still warm with custard or cream, also spoon over the lovely caramelised juices from the pan!