Polenta gives the light sponge that nutty corn flavour that compliments the fruit perfectly. Serve it with custard or cream.
FRESH APRICOT AND POLENTA UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
150 g golden caster sugar
6-7 apricots, cut in halves
30 ml honey
120 ml vegetable oil
115 g self raising flour
50 g instant polenta
cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Generously grease and line a 21cm round cake tin. Scatter 2 tablespoons of the sugar over the base of the prepared tin.
- Arrange the apricots halves on the base of the prepared tin. Drizzle the honey over the apricots and set aside.
- Mix together the eggs and the remaining sugar in a bowl.
- Beat the egg mixture until thick and creamy, then gradually beat in the oil. Sift together the flour, polenta and fold into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture carefully into the tin over the apricots. Bake the cake for about 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn the cake out on to a plate, peel off the paper.