Last night I had one of our quarterly bring-and-share dinners with my girlfriends. I looked forward to it very much, firstly because I haven’t seen them for a while, and secondly because at these gatherings, we always end up having the most delicious and healthiest vegetarian mix. Normally we decide beforehand who brings what (starter, main or desert). This time it was my turn to bring a salad dish. Although it was planned in advance, things went out of order a bit. I was late from work and had nothing prepared. I didn’t really have time to mess around and had to act fast! I decided to do a super quick salad. It’s not only super fast, it’s good for you and you can customise it to your own taste by replacing some of the vegetables to the ones you prefer most (red or orange bell pepper, cauliflower, kale, spinach, radishes). My version goes like this:
SALAD IN A FLASH
Serves at least 4 people
2 apples (I used Gala)
1 medium head of broccoli
few spears of spring onion
small knob of ginger
50 g pumpkin seeds
100 g parsley
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp soy sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
Simply put all ingredients but pumpkin seeds into the food processor or any household chopper and pulse few times until finely chopped, I did about 5-6 pulses, not to mushy, not to rough. Taste, adjust the seasoning if needed, sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top.
Quick, isn’t it!
To keep the theme going, here is another speedy recipe for you..
LIGHTNING FAST COOKIES
(Takes up to 20 minutes from start to finish and makes 12 cookies)
125 g butter
75 g caster sugar
50 g muscovado sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
150 g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
Plus 100 g of whatever takes your fancy (chopped nuts, chocolate chips, sultanas, lemon or orange zest, crystallised ginger, pine nuts or combination of any ingredients above. I like cranberries and white chocolate, hazelnuts and dark chocolate)
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan or in a microwave for 30 seconds.
3. Put the sugars into a bowl, pour on the butter and beat.
4. Break in the egg and add vanilla.
5. Beat to combine, stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir in your chosen extras.
6. Dot heaped dessertspoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking sheets, leaving plenty space in between (the cookies early spread out).
7. Bake 8-10 minutes, until just turning golden brown. Leave on the baking sheets to harden slightly, then carefully transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.